How do I conduct a proper market survey of the cars available?
Some space for those answers we constantly seek - the lubricant for
This website has been developed to aid you in your selection for the best
car suited to your needs. It includes brief descriptions and major
specifications of different cars made in India. Out of the different
parameters, a careful selection has been done to highlight the main
features. The next step after going through this would be to visit new car
dealer showrooms and check the vehicles personally. Check out colors,
prices, discounts, special offers, finance schemes, etc. If possible,
test-drive the car.
Which color should I choose?
The color most easily maintained is white. Apart from personal perceptions,
you should remember that the lower the cost of the paint option, the cheaper
it is to maintain. Basic gloss finish is the easiest to maintain, metallic
and pearl finish, though look good, cannot be duplicated. Therefore your
car's color should match your taste and be within your budget.
What should I look for in a warranty?
You will obtain a warranty that lists the terms and conditions only after
having purchased a car. It would be good if you asked for the manual and
analyzed it beforehand. Clarify your doubts in advance because the warranty
weighs heavily on car maintenance costs.
What do I check when I take delivery of my car?
First, read the terms of warranty thoroughly. Understand the enormity of
the contract you are about to sign. Test-drive the car that you are about to
pick up before paying. After it goes for registration, check all spare
parts, the working condition of the car, and see if everything promised by
the dealer is there. The car should be in immaculate physical condition.
What other essentials should I have while purchasing a car?
The following :
- Registration certificate or receipt.
- Insurance certificate or cover-note
- Legal registration plates
- Pollution-under-control badge and sticker
- Tax Deducted source certificates
- Full and final payment-cum-delivery note
- Gate pass
- Separate sales-tax or other local tax certificates applicable in some
What does the color of the engine oil indicate?
It does not indicate anything.
Can the quality of engine oil be judged by feel?
Yes, if the engine oil has gone bad there will be no slickness left.
What does the engine oil do in an engine?
Engine oil protects the engine from wear and tear, prevents corrosion and
also prevents deposits of foreign materials from forming blocks. It cools
the engine and maximizes performance and protects the engine from rust.
Is car-wash necessary? Won't ordinary soap do?
No, ordinary soaps tend to remove the wax-finish of the paint. Car-wash
soaps are specially formulated to remove dirt, grime and soils commonly
found on vehicle surfaces without causing the removal of the car paint's
How often should I wax my car?
There are no exact specifications. When the water beading and the finish
appearance indicate that the wax is gone, re-apply.
What do I look for when buying a used car?
To buy a used car, you need to take lots of precautions. Taking your
mechanic along is a must as he is sure to detect defects that you were even
A few tips:
1. Check the engine number and the chassis number
embossed on the manufacturer's plate and in the car. Compare this with the
Registration Certificate. If it is a stolen car, it would have these
2. The general appearance of the car will tell you if it has been freshly
painted, which may have been done to hide the actual situation.
3. If the car has just been repaired, search for shoddy material and
suspect workmanship, as it would have been done to make it seem like new to
bargain for a higher price.
4. Scrutinize carefully the truthfulness of the documents with the
Transport Department to ensure that the vehicle indeed belongs to the person
5. Odometer readings are easily faked and cannot be relied upon. If a
regular log is maintained, it improves the value of the car.
A few more points...
- The condition of the under-mat flooring, paintwork, tyres, wheel-rims
and upholstery need to be checked to gauge the car's condition. The
clutch-pedal rubber cladding, the color of the exhaust pipe outlet,
tail-section and tyres should be thoroughly checked. Check the working
condition of the electrical accessories and examine the condition of the
battery. See if the fuse box is working or not.
- It is imperative to check tyre pressure and engine oil before you
test drive the car. Low tyre pressure has a good suspension feeling as
it suppresses defects and body rattle, while high tyre pressure gives a
false impression of better engine performance. At times, engine oil is
mixed with thicker oils to give a smoother feeling to the engine. Only
an accomplished mechanic can detect this.
Now you are ready for a test drive! Mark the following-
1. Does the engine turn smoothly?
2. Does the starter sound clear?
3. Is the take-off smooth?
4. Turn the steering wheel all around, drive in reverse gear for a while,
brake suddenly and watch if the car comes to a sudden halt or if the engine
turns itself off?
5. When the engine warms up, check the exhaust, preferably while driving
behind the car. Blue smoke indicates a weak engine while black indicates
excessive unburnt fuel. Ideally, there should be no smoke. Ask for the
Pollution under Control Certificate.
6. Stop the car and open the bonnet. Remove the oil filler cap with the
engine at idling speed. The presence of smoke is an indication of serious
7. It is advisable that documents etc. are handed/ taken over in the
presence of a witness.
Details of Documents:
- Original Registration Certificate (or duplicated certificate issued
- Original Insurance Cover Note
- Original Pollution Under Cover Note
- Original Pollution Under Cover Certificate
- Clearing from Finance Companies/Leasing Companies
- Original Sale Note (Check with local RTO for exact forms required)
- No objection certificate from RTO for out - of - state registered
- Money Receipt · Handing Over /Taking Over Certificate
- Any other relevant document as the case warrants.
Always check the validity and authenticity of the documents before you
part with your money.
As you zoom in on your purchase deal, remember to sideglance into other
While you are at it, remember that the tortoise won the race. Never ever be
in a hurry. Be satisfied that this is THE car for you before finalizing the
We hope these queries will not remain as frequently asked as they were!